Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Cafeteria Challenge

The Cafeteria Challenge began yesterday, and as promised we have some comments for you from the participants. The instructions were to eat all three meals in the cafeteria and nothing else... as a student should be able (and is expected) to do. If participants find themselves eating extra food once they return home, or purchasing food from Mojo's and other venues, they need to make a note of that, as that is extra money that a student would be paying for food throughout the week.

The goal of this project is to create awareness about the realities of relying on the Cafeteria for nutrition and energy.

Here are some comments from Day 1.

  -   The cafeteria didn’t open until 7:17 a.m., after Andrew McNary pounded on the door.


·     There was no coffee waiting.  The staff started brewing the coffee after we were already in.  That meant, of course, that it was fresh—but it was also decaf.  (I wasn’t sure why you would start with decaf.)

·         I’m an apple guy (actually a Fuji apple snob).  I didn’t expect a Fuji.  Figured I’d have to settle for a Red [not so] Delicious.  I was wrong.  No apples at all.  The only semblance of “fresh” fruit was a basket of very old, bruised, oranges, at least some of which were covered in fruit flies.

- I came in to lunch a little after noon. It was good to see the menu posted at the line.  I decided to go for the chicken sandwich with onions and peppers.  It was pretty tasty and I think my appetite surprised President White, who sat down with me among a group of students. So, I downed the sandwich and some chips.  I think I ate some veggies too, but I can’t remember now if they were carrots or something else…  They didn’t leave much of an impression with me either way, obviously! The sandwich was really good, and I heard a lot of positive comments about lunch from students around me.


 Stay tuned ! this will be updated constantly!

No comments:

Post a Comment